Thursday, July 31, 2008

Smart Water

This might not be new to you, but it's the first time I've seen or heard of the stuff. Shawn attended training last week in Chicago for the new nuclear medicine camera that the hospital will be installing soon. During the breaks, they offered bottled water:
Photobucket
He thought it was a cute name for a sorta expensive bottle of water. (I think it was like $2.50 for the bottle, which probably was just tap water.) But, I wondered what the concept was behind the title. And, I'm wondering about ordering a caseload (several hundred) for my students. I mean, couldn't we all use some "Smart Water"? Actually, I wouldn't be spending the money on that, but it's a GREAT marketing idea. If you consider brain research and how great water is for the learning brain, it makes complete sense that any quality drinking water would be "smart" water.

What if I took some bottled water and replaced the labels with "good readers water" or "excellent student water"? What purpose would that serve and would it be at all justifiable? I could argue either way really. On one hand, yes, it may get them more motivated to drink more water, which is in fact a good thing. However, it would provide them with a false concept that they are not able to attain the goal (such as good reading) without such help as the "smart water". I've found it quite successful to be upfront & honest with the students and explain to them how water helps their brains to work efficiently and the more water they drink throughout the day, the better refreshed they will feel.

Then, there are the water 'naysayers' that say the more water you give the children, the more they will be interrupted during lessons to go to the bathrooms. As much as that is a valid point, I think the pros outweigh the cons, as if the child is getting up to walk to the bathroom, they are getting exercise and more oxygen to the brain, as well as getting a bit of a break from the dulldrum of lessons they might be experiencing. And, if the lesson is all that purposeful & engaging, most of the time, they will hold it and wait until they won't miss a single thing. Isn't that how our teaching should be anyway???

Just some food for thought . . . Smart water- what's your ideas on the subject????

2 comments:

Daisie and Andy said...

Smart Water is the Jennifer Aniston water. I think it's the only water she drinks. But your idea is a cool one. Kids like things like that.

Sammi said...

During State Assessments we let the students have "smart pencils!" Perfectly sharpened pencils with brand new eraser pencil tops (color of their choice:) They seem to get a kick out of it!