Sunday, July 13, 2008

Christmas in July?

How I wish for just a tad bit of snow to get me in the festive mood- or at least a little cooler temperatures would be nice. I know it's a bit early, but we start shopping about this time each year for our family & friends for Christmas. I used to try to do the Black Friday rush and the madness of all the late night shopping, waiting for the most popular buys to be on sale. Bah Humbug to all that. If it's worth the money, I'd rather pay full price and not deal with the crowds, rude & grouchy people, or wasted gas money as I rush to town to find that the one item I was wanting to buy is sold out.


For the most part, I absolutely LOVE shopping for Christmas presents, but lately it's getting more difficult as we've gotten busier in our lives and have lost touch with so many of our friends & family. I'm not sure anymore what that perfect gift will be for them and that is a little sad, yet reality. And, as Malachi has just turned 4 months old, I'm realizing how fast the months fly by and maybe I should get a jump start on our Christmas newsletter. (Or just send out the same one from last year since it had the wrong date- 2008 instead of 2007)


So, I'm making my list, checking it not twice, but many times to make sure that we don't overlook people and have everyone accounted for. I try to write things or ideas for what I think they would like and send out emails asking what things they might be looking forward to receiving once Christmas arrives. I do have to admit that I hate shopping for Shawn's family. I do not know what they want or enjoy and since circumstances have not allowed for me to get to know them as well, I usually let him do the shopping- which is pathetic (for lack of a better word). This year, I'm determined to conquer all and to be thoughtful and more in-tune (again, lack of a better word- man I need to freshen up on my vocab.) with the gifts that I'm planning on giving.


In the meantime, I've got a picture to put me in the festive mood for now. If only I can crank the AC high enough to provoke the atmosphere of the holiday, now only 5 months away.




1 comment:

ks_windmills said...

We started buying bonds for the grand dtrs as we were told they had too many toys....then the parents were disappointed they didn't get toys...???
I still think the bond idea is a great one to start and a nice bonus for college.