Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dr appt today

As we headed to Wichita it became obvious why God allowed me to wait longer to see a doctor in Wichita- Taco Grande! Taco Grande is my most favorite place to eat in the entire universe and as far as I know, there are only 2 left in the state of ks, one in Hays and the other in Wichita! So, Shawn spoiled me for lunch and it definitely brought back some great memories of eating at taco grande with my family.

After a few navigation glitches, we found the heart hospital. It was much larger than I'd envisioned and when we walked in it was immediately apparant that I was the youngest person. I waited (yes, hard to believe) over an hour past my appointment time. Urgh. I HATE waiting. But, good things come to those that wait, right?

The nurse was very thorough in asking questions. He had NO idea what pectus excavatum was so was thankful that I brought him some information I'd printed out. Before he left, he warned me that my doctor was a little different. I asked what that was supposed to mean. He hesitated but then just told me that some patients thought the doctor came across as harsh or weird. I still was wondering what to expect but at this point, I'm not going to be picky! So I thought- bring it on!

I noticed that the office was not much for patient confidentiality. This kinda bothered me just a tad. One of the things they did was to examine patients with the doors open. And since most of the patients in rooms around me were elderly, I heard it ALL! As I was waiting I overheard a hunting story and the doctor was sharing about deers he'd shot. Wonderful, I thought! My doctor is a killer!

So, then I met with my doctor and everything went downhill from there! In fact, I just spent the past half an hour sobbing- literally sobbing- because of how this jerk was! His manners and his rudeness was awful!!! I understand he is very well known for his success with fixing hearts but he was so pompus and arrogant. Its hard to even explain! He threw my information about pectus right back at me! Seriously! He said, whoever told you that you have that!? That's nonsense! (which its NOT nonsense because I DO have a whole in my chest and I have a CT and x-ray that shows the deformity. But he didn't look at those at all!!!) basically he diagnosed me with POTS and also something with my nerves affecting the clock of my heart and making it go haywire. He said a virus could have caused that faulty wiring or such.

So.... The final verdict is that Friday I will be having the procedure to fix my heart! I check in at 7:30 and the procedure will hopefully begin at 9:30am. We will more than likely be spending the night and return home later Saturday.

So..... More taco grande for me.... After my procedure! :) thanks so much for the prayers! We're still searching a 2nd opinion on the pectus because I'm not all that trusting of this Dr in that area!

Its been a long, exhausting day, but we did finally get another step in our journey. Oh and I get to wean off the toprol! Yeah. Well, wish me luck!

No comments: